|Posted by [email protected] on November 9, 2016 at 6:55 AM||comments (0)|
The Magic of the Moon and the Stones, Croft Moraig, Perthshire, Scotland.
Croft Moraig is easy to access but it is close to the road. Despite this intrusion the stones still cover you with their megalithic charm and this welcoming circle has an age-old lunar secret.
Often we look at sacred sites through the eyes of astronomers, mathematicians and engineers, all of whom add insight. Yet, we can easily lose sight of the people and how these wondrous stone temples were used.
Croft Moraig stands on raised platform of earth making the stones appears exalted. There were three main phases of construction that took place over one thousand years, which speaks of a deep attachment to the Spirit of Place.
Five thousand years ago, our ancestors constructed a horseshoe ring of 14 timber posts with an opening to the South West. Parallel rows of timber posts led to this enclosure which the archaeologist Aubrey Burl thought of 'as a dwelling place of a priest'. I feel to the Priestess and here's why.
Phase II of Croft Moraig was raised with care and dignity, a horseshoe of eight stones was surrounded by an earth and stone bank. The horseshoe is associated with the goddess as the lunar crescent moon. Later, in Phase III, a stone circle of twelve standing stones was constructed outside the existing circle to create a double ring with outliers towards the SE, which may have formed an entrance.
On top of the bank, to the SW, lies a remarkable six foot long stone with over twenty cup marks on it. If this stone once stood upright, as some researchers suggest, it may have been the Priestess's stone as it is aligned perfectly to the southern moonset. Although a modern name, Croft Moraig reflects the feminine energy within this stone circle as it means 'Mary's Croft'.
For me, these alignments are not just about the stones, but about the people. Imagine being here thousands of years ago. You are looking at the moon descending as its fading light blends into the land. A priestess stands high and proud against the cup marked stone, it's the perfect height, like you she awaits the Moon set.
It is tempting to think that this was a special initiation ceremony for a young priestess that only occurs at the southern moonset every 18.61 years.
Certainly, I have dowsed the female earth energies at these lunar times and like a rising serpent they come into their power. So, beneath her feet she can draw upon an unseen yet ever present Earth Force. Alongside Rodney Hale, we found the electromagnetic frequencies of the Mary earth current at Avebury. Reality is often stranger than fiction.
Magical and full of female serpent power, Mary's Croft is a true wonder of the Ancient World and she has never lost her power and remains active to this day. Even the oak trees bend towards the stone circle as if protecting and bowing to this beautiful sacred space.
|Posted by [email protected] on October 20, 2016 at 3:00 PM||comments (0)|
Scotland has some amazing ancient sites.
The stones of the Acharn Falls circle are the best-positioned in Perthshire. Standing at a height of 1240 feet 378m above sea-level, you have beautiful views across Loch Tay towards Ben Lawers. You feel like you are on top of the world!
Although this site has been abused and disturbed, of the original nine stones, four still stand upright and proud, whilst two others lie close to their original positions.
The site has a silent power that asks us to be still and go within. With breathtaking views, this stone circle stirs the soul and reminds us why we visit out of the way places.
On your journey to the site you see and hear waterfalls that sing to you. See trees and climb a hill.
The stones finally come into view on their majestic mound and it is a sight to behold. It's a bit of a walk but do go and visit this timeless mountain and stay awhile in one of the most peaceful places on Earth.
|Posted by [email protected] on October 14, 2016 at 1:05 PM||comments (0)|
Clava Cairns is a must for anyone on a Megalithic Odyssey.
The Prehistoric Burial Cairns of Bulnuaran of Clava are a group of three Bronze Age cairns located near Inverness. Dating back c4,000 years, they are exceptionally well preserved and a fantastic example of the distant history of Highland Scotland,.
The cemetery was used in two periods. At around 2000 BC a row of large cairns was built, three of which can still be seen today. A thousand years later the cemetery was reused and new burials were placed in some of the existing cairns and three smaller monuments were built including a 'kerb cairn'.
The site is wonderful to walk around and a stone close to the entrance looks like a carved face.
Traces of a smaller cemetery can also be seen at Milton of Clava, a short distance up the valley to the west. The cairns at Balnuaran of Clava extended along a gravel terrace raised above the River Nairn.
Excavations unearthed evidence for farming on the site before any of these monuments were built. The settlement was directly replaced by the cairns and it even seems possible that some of the material used to build them had been taken from demolished houses.
|Posted by edwinswagger on June 16, 2016 at 5:25 PM||comments (0)|
Machrie Moor 1
Machrie Moor 2
Machrie Moor 3
Machrie Moor 4
Machrie Moor 5
Machrie Moor 11
Six stone circles are visible on the moor immediately east of the derelict Moss Farm. Some circles are formed of granite boulders, while others are built of tall red sandstone pillars. The moor is covered with other prehistoric remains, including standing stones, burial cairns and cists. Several hut circles can also be seen as low rings of turf-covered stone.
Map of the Machrie Moor Stone Circles
The six stone circles are situated below a prominent notch on the skyline to the northeast where Machrie Glen divides into two steep-sided valleys.At the summer solstice the notch is intersected by the sun at sunrise, and this may explain why the circles were sited in this location.
The stone circles were recorded in 1861 by James Bryce, and numbered 1 to 5. Five other monuments in the area were numbered 6 to 10, and when subsequently a further stone circle was discovered almost completely submerged in peat in 1978, it was numbered Machrie Moor 11. Around 1 kilometer to the west is the remains of the Moss Farm Road Stone Circle, (Machrie Moor 10).
Machrie Stone Circle 1
Machrie Moor 1 (grid reference NR91203239) is an ellipse with axes 12.7 metres and 14.6 metres. It is formed from six granite boulders and five sandstone slabs, arranged alternately. Four of the granite blocks have fallen.
Machrie Stone Circle 2
Machrie Moor 2 (grid reference NR91143241) is the most visually striking of the circles on Machrie Moor. This circle has a diameter of 13.7 metres, and may originally have consisted of seven or eight tall sandstone slabs, three of which survive intact, while stumps of others may be seen. The heights of the three intact stones range from 3.7 metres to 4.9 metres. Within the circle are two large stones, apparently cut from a fallen pillar, one of which now has a central hole as if for conversion to a millstone. Excavations in 1861 revealed a cist in the centre of the circle. A food vessel was found in this central cist. A second, empty, short cist was found between the centre and the northeast upright stone.
Machrie Stone Circle 3
Machrie Moor 3 (grid reference NR91023244) originally consisted of nine stones. Only one still stands, 4.3 metres high, but the stumps of others are still partially visible in the peat. The stones form a geometrical egg-shape. Excavations in 1861 uncovered a small cist in the centre containing an urn with some fragments of burnt bone and flint flakes. A second cist was found 1 metre south of the centre; it contained a crouched burial, also with some flint flakes.
Machrie Stone Circle 4
Machrie Moor 4 (grid reference NR91003235) consists of four granite blocks, about 0.9 metres high. Excavations in 1861 uncovered a cist in the centre. In it was an inhumation accompanied by a food vessel, a bronze awl, and three flint flakes.
Machrie Stone Circle 5
Machrie Moor 5 (grid reference NR90873234) called "Suidh Coire Fhionn" or "Fingal's Cauldron Seat" consists of two concentric rings of granite boulders. The inner circle is 12.0 metres in diameter and consists of eight granite boulders. Excavations in 1861 uncovered an empty, ruined cist in the centre. The outer circle is approximately 18.0 metres in diameter and is formed of fifteen granite boulders. The outer circle is said to form a geometrical egg-shape.
Machrie Stone Circle 11
Machrie Moor 11 (grid reference NR91213242) is a low stone circle with a diameter of around 13 metres. The tallest of the stones is about 1.2 metres high on the western side. Excavations in 1978-9 revealed 10 upright stones, with a pit between each stone possibly representing a post-hole.
James Bryce listed five other antiquities to the west of the stone circles in 1861. Machrie Moor 6 (grid reference NR90733237)
is the remains of a possible chambered cairn consisting of two touching upright stone slabs at right angles.
Machrie Moor 7 (grid reference NR90633253) is a standing stone 1.6 metres tall.
Machrie Moor 8 (grid reference NR90573237) is the remains of a probable chambered cairn comprising an oval spread of stones approximately 20 metres by 16 metres. The most obvious feature is a 1.8 metre tall standing stone within the east edge of the cairn surrounded by several smaller stones which may have been part of a chamber or facade. Machrie Moor 9 (grid reference NR905324) was a standing stone of which no obvious trace remains.
Machrie Moor 10 (grid reference NR90053265) is the Moss Farm Road Stone Circle.