|Posted by edwinswagger on June 6, 2016 at 12:10 AM||comments (0)|
Dooey’s Cairn is a Neolithic tomb dating from c.4000-2000 BC. This is the best preserved court tomb in the Causeway Coast area. It is named after Andrew Dooey who owned the land. His family granted it to the government in 1975.
It was excavated twice, in 1935 and 1975. It consists of a U-shaped forecourt that leads into a small chamber. Behind the chamber is a cremation passage, containing three pits, one of which held the remains of several individuals. This form of cremation passage is the only one of its type found in Ireland.
During the excavations, archaeologists discovered various artefacts e.g. polished axe heads, flint arrows and decorated pottery. Evidence of cereal seeds were also discovered, implying that early forms of agriculture had been introduced into this region at the time of the burials.
Dooey’s Cairn is maintained by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency and is accessible to the public.
These four pots were excavated from the Neolithic tomb, known as Dooey's cairn, in Dunloy in County Antrim. Dating to around 2000-4000 BC, Dooey's Cairn is the best preserved court tomb in the North Coast area of Northern Ireland. Archeologists excavated the tomb in 1935 and in 1975, discovering various artifacts such as polished stone axe heads, flint arrows and numerous pieces of pottery. Such artifacts are often found in ancient graves and are associated with rituals surrounding death and the afterlife. People began to make pottery for the first time during the Neolithic period. Pots were made by coiling clay around to build up a pot shape and then smoothing down the sides. Pottery can provide vital clues about how people lived and can help date a site. This pottery is quite elaborately decorated. Imprints of cereal seeds can be seen, which demonstrates that this area was under cultivation.
|Posted by edwinswagger on December 7, 2015 at 12:55 AM||comments (0)|
Navan Fort (Old Irish: Emaın Macha ([ˈeṽənʲ ˈṽaxə]), Modern Irish: Eamhain Mhacha ([ˈaw̃nʲ ˈw̃axə]) is an ancient monument in County Armagh, Northern Ireland. According to tradition it was one of the great royal sites of pre-Christian Gaelic Ireland and the capital of the Ulaid. Severed heads of their enemies were said to be kept here. It is a large circular enclosure—marked by a bank and ditch—with a circular mound and the remains of a ring barrow in the middle. Archeological investigations show that there were once buildings on the site, including a huge roundhouse-like structure. The site is believed to have had a pagan ceremonial purpose. According to the Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology, "the [Eamhain Mhacha] of myth and legend is a far grander and mysterious place than archeological excavation supports".
The name Eamhain Mhacha is thought to mean "the pair of Macha" or "the twins of Macha". 'Navan' is an anglicisation of the Irish An Eamhain.